Downloading eBooks from GCPL
Before you start, have you taken the Digital Media Guided Tour?
Downloading eBooks from GCPL
Ready to get started?
1. Go to Geauga County Public Library (GCPL) website (geaugalibrary.net):
Site link is under 'Read/Downloadable eBooks' on the main menu.
Direct Link: http://www.geaugalibrary.net/overdrive.html (right-click and choose 'open in new tab' if you would like to go back and forth between pages.)
2. Click on the “Sign In” tab, choose Geauga County Public Library from the list, and log in with your complete library barcode number (on the back of your library card beginning with the numbers 23235---------)
NOTE: You will need to do the following steps 3-12 only one time,
to download the management software to your computer.
3. After logging in, scroll down until you see “Digital Software” in the left column, and click “Adobe Digital Editions.” This is the software you’ll use to manage your ebooks from GCPL.
4.On the next GCPL screen, click on "Get Adobe Digital Editions"
5. A new browser window will open up at Adobe s website; click on "Download Now"
6. Click on "Install."
7. Click on "Install" at the confirmation screen:
8. Click on "Yes" to confirm the download and installation.
9. Follow the install wizard to finish the download:
10. Agree to the terms and conditions:
11. Now Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) has been installed!
12. You may have to authorize the computer, and set up an Adobe ID. To do that, go to the Library" menu in ADE, select "Authorize Computer," and follow the instructions.
13. Now, back to GCPL/OverDrive and ebooks… Find the ebook you wish to check out, and click on "Add to Cart." (If your only choices are ‘Add to Wait List” and “Add to Wish List” the book is already checked out to someone, and you won’t be able to check it out.)
14. In your Cart, "Proceed to Checkout"
15. Confirm checkout… (Note that you may have 3 items checked out at one time, and ebooks circulate for 14 days. You can return ebooks before the due date; if you do not return early, they are automatically returned to the collection after 14 days.)
16. When the book has been checked out, and you re ready to download to your computer, click on "Download."
17. Tell the computer which software you want to use to open the file: it should default to ‘Adobe Digital Editions.” If it does not, browse to find ADE and select it. Click on OK. (If OK is greyed out, click anywhere on the window to make it active, then OK will be available to click.)
18. The book will be downloaded to ADE. You can read the book on your computer at this point, just select it from the ADE library list.
19. To transfer to an e-reader device, turn on your device and connect it to the computer. It may take a few moments for the computer, and then for ADE, to “see” the device and recognize it.
20. If it is the first time you have used that device with this installation of ADE, you will need to authorize the device. A screen will pop up when you connect the device; click on “Authorize Device.”
21. Your device will appear in the left column of the window. (In this case, the device is a Nook.) To transfer the book to the Nook, just drag the book’s icon over to the left column and “drop” it over the device’s icon.
22. At this point the book is transferred to the device, where you may read it for up to 14 days. To see the book on the device from ADE, click on the device’s icon in the left column of the window.
The book may appear in various places, depending on the device. On the Nook, for example, the book will appear in “My Documents” within “My Library.”
Returning a book early:
In Adobe Digital Editions, open the library list and click on the small arrow just to the left of the title you wish to return. Click on “Return Borrowed Item.”
GCPL edited version January 2011
Original version: November 2010 WILBOR Consortium http://wilbor.lib.overdrive.com